Skip to main content

Post-16 and Autism Spectrum Disorder

POST 16 and ASD

Post 16 in Royal Greenwich


Do I need to carry on with my studies now I am 16 years old?

The law says that you must stay in education or training until you are 18. When you turn 16 you can choose to continue your studies or combine both work and study.


What Post 16 options are there for me in Royal Greenwich?

There are a variety of local schools and colleges offering courses for young people aged 16-19 with special educational needs and disabilities.

Check their websites for details of open events and courses offered. Each of the schools or colleges have different courses and levels of study available.

The Schools and Colleges are:

Eltham Hill School

Halley Academy Sixth Form College

Harris Academy Greenwich

London South East Colleges (LSEC)

Plumstead Manor Sixth Form

Royal Greenwich Trust School

Shooters Hill Sixth Form College

St Mary Magdalene Church of England Sixth Form

Stationers Crown Woods Academy

The John Roan School

Thomas Tallis School Post 16 Centre

Woolwich Polytechnic School


Post 16 options in neighbouring boroughs include:

Lewisham College

Southwark College


What level should I study at?

Post 16 study is offered at many levels depending on your academic qualifications and grades. Staff at the open events will be able to advise you on what level is best for you.

The study programmes are divided into the following areas:

Technical and Vocational:

This is work focused but with study time included.

Applied Qualifications:

These combine both academic studies and practical application.


These are practical courses based in a workplace plus study. Apprenticeships aim to lead to work. There are different levels of apprenticeships, depending on your exam grades. They take between 1 and 4 years to complete.

For further information see:


These provide work experience and work skills when an apprenticeship application has not been successful. They take between 6 weeks and 6 months to complete.

For further information see:

 A Levels:

These are academic qualifications which usually prepare you for further advanced studies such as university.

T Levels:

These are technical studies equivalent to 3 A Levels but also with a work placement included.

Will I be able to get the support I need?

If you have an EHC plan and receive support at school:

-          Your EHC plan will continue, and you should receive the level of support you need for your Post 16 studies.

If you do not have an EHC plan and think you will need support at Post 16:

-          Attend Open Days and discuss your support needs with staff at the college. Also discuss your support needs with your school staff, careers advisor and parent/carer.

You may wish to have someone helping you to arrange this support.


Can I afford to go to Post 16?

Financial support may be available to you. You may be entitled to money to support you during your Post 16 studies.

For further details see:

You will be entitled to free travel on London buses using a 16+ Zip Oyster Photocard.

For further details see:


For further information on Post 16 options in Greenwich please see: