Skip to main content

Living Independently

Preparing for Adulthood – Living Independently

Some young adults will continue to live at home with their parents or carers. However, some young people will prefer to either get a place to live on their own, or to live with others.
There are many types of property to choose from. This will depend on what you want, along with the type of support you need.


Renting is a common choice for people who cannot afford to buy a property and who have little support needs. Renting can be done on your own, or in a shared house. You can rent through:
You can find out more about private renting below:
You can also rent a home through a housing association. The major housing associations in Royal Greenwich are:

ASRA Housing Association
Gallions Housing Association
Housing for Women
Hyde Housing
Family Mosaic
London and Quadrant
New World Housing Association
Southern Housing Group
Southward and London Diocesan Housing Association

Buying a Home

If you are thinking of buying a home there are lots of things to consider. The links below will give you more information about the process:
 – Buying your home:
 Which? First time buyers guide:
 Shelter – how to buy a home
You could also consider the option of shared ownership. Shared ownership is a great way for those who cannot afford the market prices to get on the property ladder. You can find out more about shared ownership here:

Finding a place if you need more support

If you have a learning disability and are likely to require help in living more independently, you should request assessment of your needs. This is usually done by Royal Greenwich Community Learning Disability Team at or 020 8921 4860. Support can range from just a few hours a week to up to 24 hours of support per day.
Supported tenancies cover a range of accommodation and adapted properties set up to enable people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, to live in their own home. These are usually shared by a small group of tenants with staff providing support with day to day living, from a few hours a day up to 24 hours. Help and support is also offered for setting up and maintaining a home, managing finances, claiming benefits and developing domestic and life skills.
Residential placements provide accommodation for people with learning or physical disabilities who need more intensive or specialised support than can be provided at home. Different types of residential placements are available to meet individual needs and different levels of disability.

Help with costs
Personal budgets can be one way of helping you pay for any support to live independently.
Citizen’s Advice Bureau can help give you advice and information on your rights in rented, shared or housing association properties.
You can contact Citizen’s Advice Bureau Greenwich on:
 020 8853 9499
Further Information and Support
If you need any more information or guidance on housing or living independently you can contact 1st base Housing Options and Support on:
 020 8921 8825
Or you can look at: