Skip to main content

Home to school transport

Home to school travel assistance

Parents and carers are responsible for ensuring their child attends school.  This may include making or assisting with travel arrangements to and from school and/or accompanying their child.  

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) do not receive specialised travel assistance from Royal Greenwich.  Wherever possible, it is expected that parents and carers of children and young people with a statement of special educational needs or education, health and care plan (EHCP) will make arrangements for their child to attend school in the same way as for parents and carers of children and young people without a statement or EHCP, as this is an important factor in developing the child or young person's independence, social and life skills. 

Royal Greenwich may offer travel assistance to and from school for children and young people with a statement or EHCP who are unable to use public transport because of their special needs.  Travel assistance may also be offered to children and young people where a medical condition prevents them from using public transport. 

Travel assistance can consist of a range of options depending on the needs of the child and young person.  However, priority will always be given to travel assistance solutions that help develop travel independence skills to enable children and young people lead independent and healthy lives, feel safe and secure, and achieve their full potential.

For further information, including eligibility criteria, forms of travel assistance and how to apply, please use the link on your right to access Royal Greenwich’s Home to School Travel Assistance Policy.

Royal Greenwich will be reviewing the policy regularly and the next review is likely to be in Spring 2020.