Skip to main content

Schools Outside of Greenwich

Schools Outside of Greenwich

Parents may want to choose a mainstream school in a neighbouring borough if that is closer to their home. However, parents should look at the services that would be available to them as different boroughs have different services available to schools.

We try to place all children and young people with special needs in schools in maintained schools within Greenwich. However, we do sometimes need to use independent special schools when a child or young person’s needs cannot be met otherwise.

In this case, we have to use schools or colleges that are approved by the Department of Education - this is the link to the list (Section 41) that is regularly updated ( )

Section 41 of the Children and Families Act (2014) allows the Secretary of State to publish a list of approved independent special institutions (independent special schools – England and Wales and special post-16 institutions). Institutions can only be included on the list with their consent.

We currently have children attending the following independent special schools:

Parkwood Hall –

West Heath School –  

Right Choice -