Skip to main content

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Local Offer

Preparing for Adulthood

Services and support are available for young people up to the age of 25 with SEND. Further information is available in the 'related services' to your right.

Greenwich Community Directory - Adults

Part of the Greenwich Community Directory provides information on all Adult health, social care and community needs. You will find a range of services to support you both at home and in the community; as well as information and advice about what’s available in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Adult information can be found by selecting Adults at the top of this screen.

Transition to adult services

Transition to adult services

Support for young people with a disability or long term health needs usually transfers from children's services to adult services when a young person reaches 18. Transition is the name used for this process and can be applied particularly to social care but also health services.

How transition works

As a young person approaches adulthood, children services will consider whether the young person will require support once they become 18. Information about the young person will be shared with adult services and in particular the Transitions Team. The young person and their carers will receive support and possibly an assessment to assist in developing transition plans.

The Transitions Team will be involved in deciding whether the young person will be eligible to receive social care support from adult services. If the young person is not eligible, the team will advise of other local services and agencies that may be able to assist.

The Transitions Team consists of an Assessment Officer, an Occupational Therapist, a Learning Disability Nurse, a Greenwich Mencap Transitions Worker and a Team Co-ordinator.

Transition planning is for the young person and should be about the things that are important to them. The young person must have every opportunity to communicate their needs.

Education, Health and Care Plans identify the aspirations and wishes of young people with special education needs, and their families. These are crucial to ensure there is a clear plan towards achieving outcomes for the young person.

Young people and their carers should be aware of the transition process throughout their involvement with special education or social care.

However if you are concerned that you have not received this information, please contact the Children with Disabilities Team on 020 8921 2599.

Post-16 College Provision in Royal Greenwich

There are a variety of local colleges offering courses for young people with special educational needs and disabilities. These include:

London South East Colleges

London South East Colleges provides outstanding education and training for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities across two of our sites. We are particularly proud of both our employability programmes with our extensive employer network who help us to identify a range of employment opportunities for our learners with Special Education Needs and Disabilities, offering them the chance to work and develop their skills. And our Independent Living programmes that support the development of the skills of young people with more severe to complex needs need to life within the local community.

Bromley Campus

Our Nido Volans Centre at Bromley provides specialist facilities and support for learners with complex to moderate learning difficulties. The learners develop both employability and independent living skills, supported by our specialist team, to prepare them for their adult life and the world of work. Our facilities at Bromley include our ‘Chefs Table’ training kitchen and restaurant, a manufacturing workshop, horticultural facilities (including a large polytunnel) and a performance space which is home to Greengoose Performing Arts - creating the perfect learning environment to develop learners’ skills.

Bexley Campus

Our Nido Volans Centre at Bexley also provides brand new specialist facilities and support for learners with complex to moderate learning difficulties. The facilities at Bexley also include an accessible independent living kitchen, a manufacturing workshop, a performance space, art and enterprise, personal presentation and ICT rooms. As at the Bromley centre learners develop both employability and independent living skills.

    You can find out more information on the supported learning courses available here.

    For more information about the College and other courses available:

    Lewisham and Southwark College

    Lewisham and Southwark College have a Supported Learning department. The curriculum on offer here is designed to meet the needs of those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities and to enable them to go on to further education, training or employment.
    You can find out more information on the supported learning courses available here.

    For more information about Lewisham and Southwark College and other courses available:

    Adult learners with dyslexia 

    Dyslexia affects at least 10% of the population it is a difficulty in processing written language. If you have dyslexia there is adult learning courses and support.

    More information about dyslexia and adult learning courses is available here.

    Higher Education

    Young people with (SEND) special educational needs and disabilities may wish to go into higher education there is support and courses available for students with disabilities who wish to study at University level.

    Accessing higher education

    By law universities must ensure that education is accessible for disabled students. Every University must show how they provide support. You can normally view this on each universities individual website and viewing their policies.

    Study programmes in Greenwich

    University of Greenwich have a dedicated Disability and Dyslexia team to help students at every stage. If you have a disability, impairment, specific learning difficulty, long term mental health issues e-mail: to find out how you can get support. Please click here for more information.


    Open University

    What is it?

    Fulfil your potential by studying with The Open University. World-leading distance learning that comes to you. The OU strives to make all aspects of study accessible to everyone, which is why more disabled students choose the OU than any other UK University.

    Last year we supported around 18,000 such students to achieve their study goals.

    Who is it for?

    Please click here for more information.

    Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) 

    What is it?

    Disabled Students Allowance provides extra financial help if you have a disability, mental health difficulty or medical condition.

    Who is it for?

    If you are a student with a disability, health problem or learning difficulty you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

    Please click here for more information.

    Getting a job

    Preparing for Adulthood: Getting a Job

    Taking first steps early enough can really help you to find out what sort of things interest you and what work is like.

    You can call or drop in at The Point in Woolwich for help and support with getting a job.

    You can also speak with a Disability Employment Adviser throigh your local Job centre -Jobcentre website

    Getting a job

    • can help you to meet people
    • means you earn your own money
    • can be enjoyable
    • some people want to be a member of a team they like
    • some people just want to contribute

    EHC plan and employment

    An Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan is for anyone up to age 25 who needs additional support. EHC Plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.

    You can find out more information about EHC plans and employment here.

    Supported Employment

    With supported employment you will have support from a job coach who helps you learn the skills for a job. It also offers you the time in order to learn how to do the job you would like to do. You can find out more about Supported Employment from a Disability Employment Adviser and on the links below:

    Routes Into Work Guide

    Routes into work guide provides information about the different options for young people with SEND(Special Educational Needs and Disabilities). This guide helps them move into employment. Nearly all young people with SEND can move into paid employment. You can find out more information here

    Training and Apprenticeships


    Apprenticeships allow young people to earn whilst they learn and study for nationally recognised qualifications. Apprentices learn while they work by doing a real job in a real workplace. You could also gain a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ).

    The Camden Society offers a number of apprenticeships:
    Camden Society website


    Traineeships provide young people with training to prepare them for their future career by helping them to become ‘work ready’, by giving them the skills and experience that employers are looking for. They include work preparation training, a high quality work experience placement and English and Maths for those who need it.
    Traineeships are for young people aged 16 to 24 and are unpaid
    You can find out more about tranieeships on these websites:

    Supported Internships

    Supported internships are for young people with complex needs aged 16 to 24 with a statement of Special Education Needs, a Learning Disability Assessment or an Education Health and Care plan who want to move into employment and require extra support to do so.
    Supported internships include on-the-job training with expert job coaches responsible for supporting both interns and their employers. These internships are unpaid and last for a minimum of six months. Wherever possible, they support the young person to move into paid employment at the end of the programme.
    Young people also complete a personalised study programme, with the chance to study for relevant substantial qualifications.
    You can find out more information on supported internships below:


    Many young people like to volunteer and local opportunities can be found here.
    Being a volunteer means giving you time to help other people. If you are a volunteer you will not get paid. This means you will be able to keep your benefits.
    People volunteer for lots of different reasons.

    You might volunteer to:

    • Make new friends
    • Do something you haven’t done before
    • Increase your confidence
    • Help you be part of the community where you live
    • Learn a new skill so you can get a job

    If you would like to get a job after you volunteer, it’s important to find out how the people you volunteer with can help you.

    Starting your own Business or Social Enterprise

    If you don't want to work for someone else you could start your own business. Having your own business or company is known as being self-employed. You must do all or most of the work yourself. You must decide what to do and how to do it.
    There is support in Greenwich for setting up your own business or enterprise. You can find out more information here:

    Even break

    What is it?

    Evenbreak is a website designed to support individuals with disabilities to apply for work.

    Who is it for?

    This website advertises jobs including: apprenticeships, internships, voluntary work and work experience.

    Find out more information by visiting evenbreak website here.

    Work Choice

    Work Choice helps you find, keep and progress in a job. The type of help you get depends on what you need - it’s different for everyone. You can get either getting into work support or in work support.

    People with  a visual impairment may be entitled to Blind Person’s Allowance. This is an extra amount of tax free allowance that means you can earn more before you start paying Income Tax.

      Other Support

      An Access to Work grant helps pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition so you can start working, stay in work or start your own business. How much you can get depends on your circumstances. The money does not have to be paid back and does not affect your benefits

      See Matt's story:

      Living Independently

      Preparing for Adulthood – Living Independently

      Some young adults will continue to live at home with their parents or carers. However, some young people will prefer to either get a place to live on their own, or to live with others.
      There are many types of property to choose from. This will depend on what you want, along with the type of support you need.

      Video about 6 people with a learning disability talking about where they live

      Personal budgets and independent living

      What is a personal budget?

      Regarding independent living a personal budget is the route to achieving independent living based on the social model of disability. It assists disabled people to live an active life and participate in society. It enables you to achieve your outcomes stated in your personalising care and support planning.

      You can find out more about personal budgets here


      Renting is a common choice for people who cannot afford to buy a property and who have little support needs. Renting can be done on your own, or in a shared house. 
      You can find out more about private renting here.

      You can also rent a home through a housing association or the local council. Further information about housing through Royal Greenwich is available here.

      Buying a Home

      If you are thinking of buying a home there are lots of things to consider. The links below will give you more information about the process:

      You could also consider the option of shared ownership. Shared ownership is a great way for those who cannot afford the market prices to get on the property ladder. You can find out more about shared ownership here 

      Finding a place if you need more support

      If you have a learning disability and are likely to require help in living more independently, you should request assessment of your needs. This is usually done by Royal Greenwich Community Learning Disability Team at or 020 8921 4860. Support can range from just a few hours a week to up to 24 hours of support per day.
      Supported tenancies cover a range of accommodation and adapted properties set up to enable people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, to live in their own home. These are usually shared by a small group of tenants with staff providing support with day to day living, from a few hours a day up to 24 hours. Help and support is also offered for setting up and maintaining a home, managing finances, claiming benefits and developing domestic and life skills.
      Residential placements provide accommodation for people with learning or physical disabilities who need more intensive or specialised support than can be provided at home. Different types of residential placements are available to meet individual needs and different levels of disability.

      Help with costs

      Personal budgets can be one way of helping you pay for any support to live independently.
      Citizen’s Advice Bureau can help give you advice and information on your rights in rented, shared or housing association properties.
      You can contact Citizen’s Advice Bureau Greenwich on 020 8853 9499 or via their website here 

      Further Information and Support

      If you need any more information or guidance on housing or living independently you can contact 1st base Housing Options and Support on 020 8921 8825 or

      The Point

      The Point

      The Point is the centre of youth support services in Royal Greenwich borough. Services for young people are based in one setting providing integrated help, advice and direction. 

      These services include information and advice about education, employment, housing options, training, personal development programmes, sexual health, volunteering and positive activities, drug and alcohol support.

      • Education
      • Training
      • Employment
      • Housing options and support
      • Personal development
      • Sexual health services
      • Drug and alcohol support
      • Positive activities
      • Volunteering

      Friendship, relationships and being part of the community

      Everyone has a right to develop and experience intimate relationships, which are an important part of personal relationships and include both romantic and sexual relationships.

      My Life My Choice have made three videos related to this research project. 

      Watch Videos


      There are a range of activities availble in the community that young people can get involved in. This is one way to meet other people that have similar interests.

      Try searching the Local Offer for information on activities that interest you


      How can I stay healthy?

      As you get older it is important to stay fit and look after yourself. In Greenwich there are a number of groups and services who support young people with their healthcare needs. This includes help and support from your local GP surgery, health centres. 

      Annual Health Checks

      If you have a learning disability, poor mental health or physical health your GP will ask to see you once a year. The Annual Health Check scheme is for adults and young people aged 14 or above with learning disabilities that need more health support and may otherwise have health conditions that go undetected.

      What happens at Annual Health Check?

      The Annual Health Check lets the person with learning disabilities go to their GP practice and have aspects of their health checked. It also allows them to talk about anything that's worrying them.

      For more information about Annual Health Checks please click here.

      GP Learning register

      The Learning Disability Register is a record of people with a learning disability who are registered with each GP practice.

      Over one million people in the UK have a learning disability but only 200,000 are on their GP’s Learning Disability Register.

      People with a learning disability often have difficulties accessing health services and face inequalities in the service they receive. The Government is asking parents and carers to speak to their GP and ensure their sons/daughters or the people for whom they care are registered. It is hoped that this drive will ensure better and more person centred health care for people with learning disabilities.


      Transitions regarding autistic individuals, there are many transitions throughout anyone’s life this could be: school, college or work change is difficult for anyone and for autistic individuals it could be even harder.

      The transitions advice and strategies can help in the following areas:

      • Starting or switching school
      • Leaving school
      • Starting college or University
      • Leaving college or University

      More information about transitions for autistic individuals can be found here.

      Special School Nursing in Greenwich

      Special school nurses provide holistic and focussed nursing care for children and young people, many with complex health needs, in their school.

      Special school nurses are based in the following schools.

      • Willow Dene School
      • Charlton School 

      Specialist sexual health services for people with disabilities