Some children are entitled to free meals at school.
From September 2014, all children in the reception, year 1 and year 2 will automatically receive a free school meal, while free school meals are available for all school-aged children in year 3 or above, whose parents, carers or guardians claim certain benefits.
Young people who are claiming a qualifying benefit themselves are also entitled.
It is important to sign up for school meals as registering could mean extra government funding for your child's school.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Pupil Benefits
The Woolwich Centre
35 Wellington Street
- SE18 6HQ
- Referral required
- Referral Details
How to Apply:
To apply you will need to complete a pupil benefits registration/application form.
Please download and fill out the electronic form from the link below, or contact the Pupil Benefits Team for a paper copy.
Free school meals for:
• All children in the reception, year 1 and year 2.
• All school-aged children in year 3 or above whose parent(s), carer(s) or guardians(s) receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support.
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Child Tax Credit only (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and your annual income does not exceed £16,190).
- Pension Credit Guarantee.
- Universal Credit.
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
• Young people who are claiming a qualifying benefit themselves can also get free school meals.