Trading Standards: Total Recalls - Making White Goods Safer
Royal Greenwich Trading standards support this campaign run by the London Fire Brigade.
Nearly one fire a day in London involves white goods – that's tumble dryers, dishwashers, washing machines, fridges and freezers. Most are caused by faults beyond your control. The Total Recalls campaign is here to make it easier for people to protect themselves from potentially lethal faulty appliances.
Six fire-fighters tips for safer white goods
1. If your white goods start making a strange noise, don't ignore it – if you suspect there might be a problem, always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.
2. Check your appliances haven't been recalled – most fires, where white goods are the source of ignition, are not down to anything you've done. The most important thing you can do to make sure you're safe is to regularly check your appliances haven't been recalled. This can be more difficult than it sounds. At the moment, you need to check the Government's product recall site, the manufacturer's website or Electrical Safety First's recall register.
3. Always keep your white goods in a safe place out of the way – don't be tempted to put that freezer in the hallway. If a fire does break out in your home, you need all escape routes to be clear.
4. Fit smoke and heat alarms – fit an alarm in every room where a fire could start, and make sure they are tested regularly. Find out more about smoke and heat alarms here.
5. Register your appliance – by registering your appliance, you'll be informed if the manufacturers identify any issues with the product you have bought.
6. Take action for everyone – if you really want to make lasting change that could make us all safer, support our campaign today.
For further information on the safety of white goods and how the product recall system works, please visit https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/about-us/our-campaigns/total-recalls-making-whitegoods-safer/
REPORTING to Trading Standards Tel. 0208 921 8223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
REPORTING to Trading Standards
Protect others by reporting incidents like this to us as soon as they happen.
Who to contact
- 020 8921 8223
- LFB Total Recall - Making White Goods Safer
- Parent Organisation
- Royal Greenwich Trading Standards Rapid Response Team