Skip to main content

Disabled Children and Young People Service

This is a specialist, multidisciplinary social care service supporting children and young people with complex disabilities from 0-25.

The Service includes:

Who to contact



Where to go

The Woolwich Centre, 35
Wellington Street
SE18 6HQ

Other Details


Age Ranges
Referral required
Referral Details


You can refer to the service directly as a parent, by contacting the MASH team.

A Professional or someone who knows your child can also refer your child to us with your permission. Whenever someone else is making the referral on your behalf, it is helpful for it to come from a professional who knows your child and family well as they can share important information to ensure you are receiving the right support from the beginning.

A professional or someone who knows your child can refer your child to us without your permission if there is serious concern about your child’s safety and well-being.


The DCYPS Social Work Team is a specialist social work team for children with severe and complex disabilities age 0-18 and their families.

This would include:

• Severe learning disabilities.
• Severe physical disabilities,
• Severe and profound autistic spectrum disorders.
• Disability arising out of serious or chronic illness.
• Complex health needs.
• Severe sight and/or hearing impairment.

If your child has a mild-moderate disability, you would be able to access a service through the mainstream Social Work service and would make the application to the MASH team as above.

The DCYPS Social Work Team works under relevant Children’s and Disability legislation, and guidance, including section 17 of the Children Act 1989 whereby a disabled child is considered a 'child in need'.

Local Offer


How To Complain:

If you need to complain or discuss the service your child is receiving from the Disabled Children Social Work Team, you can do this via;

Jodi Mathers, Head of SEND Social Care

by email: 

or by phone on: 02089212589

Or through the Royal Borough of Greenwich complaints department -

Targeted Services:

Physical and emotional well-being:

Your child and family could undergo a specialist social work assessment called a Child and Family assessment from the DCSWT to ensure their physical and emotional needs are met and that they are reaching the outcomes that you and the professionals working with you have identified as important for them and your family.

This assessment is carried out by a social worker, in partnership with relevant professionals. A team around the child (TAC) approach will normally be used that aims to keep your child and family at the centre of the process.

This assessment will inform a personalized support plan for your child where the identified needs are addressed and outcomes or goals that are important for your child agreed. This plan may be led by a social worker or another professional supporting your child in the community.

We will discuss with you ideas and make referrals to other services that can support your child to meet the outcomes identified.

Support for families:

Parents of disabled children and young people are entitled to a social work assessment if they request one. This will not always lead to any additional support or services being provided, but may help you to consider what other services are available to meet your needs.

Parent or carers providing a significant amount of care to a disabled child are also entitled to an assessment of their own needs as carers – a carer’s assessment. This will be undertaken as part of the Child and Family assessment and any services to be provided as a result of this should be included in the support plan. However, you as a carer should be advised of other services available from RBG or other community services to meet your needs.

Specialist Services:

Physical and emotional well-being:

If the outcome of the assessment shows that the resources already available to your child and family (within the community and services already being provided or funded by RBG or OXLEAS) are not sufficient, then you or your child may be provided with additional support, either provided directly or through a direct payment. This support may be to provide a break for you and your child or to support you in undertaking the personal care for your child.

This funding is to be used to support your child in meeting the outcomes and needs as identified in their personalised support plan. The allocation of funding is decided through the use of a resource allocation model and agreed at a care package panel. This panel will decide how much additional support should be provided. Your child’s plan will be reviewed at regular interviews to ensure that it continues to meet your child and family’s needs.

Not all children supported by the Team will have an EHC plan.

Local Offer Age Bands
Pre-Birth - 5 years
5-11 years
11-16 years
16-19 years
SEN Provision Type


Sign in to write a review